Monday, June 11, 2012

Charlie Rock

En route to St. Paul, I stopped in Bozeman, Montana, to do some fly-fishing. The fishing was poor, so I went to a local bar/restaurant for dinner. I sat next to a guy with a cowboy hat at the bar and after I ordered some chow, I noticed the bill of this guy's cowboy hat in my peripheral vision a few times- he kept looking at me. When I looked back at him, there was a flash of recognition.

"Second week of September, last year, west side of the Gallatin, south of the bridge," I said.

"What?" he asked.

"Do you drive a white Ford? A diesel?" I asked.

"Yeah." He looked worried for a moment.

"In the second week of September last year, did you meet a guy who was fishing on the west side of the Gallatin river, just south of the bridge, who was from Minnesota and on his way to Oregon?" I asked again.

"It's a small world." he said.



The guy's name is Charlie Rock (prefers to be called CJ), and he is a professional fly-fishing guide. He operates out of The Tackle Shop in Ennis, Montana, and he's a good guy- gave me some fishing tips when I met him on the Gallatin in the fall of 11' for no reason besides wanted to help out. And the tips worked.

If you are looking for a fishing guide in Montana, contact The Tackle Shop at 406-682-4263 and tell them you want to have Charlie Rock take you fishing. He knows what he's doing.




No comments: