Saturday, May 19, 2012

Moving To Portland, Oregon, Without A Job

Moving to Portland, Oregon, without a job is a really, really, really bad idea. But, you might get lucky. 

So many people are moving to Portland without jobs that I think a few strangers will find this, so I've written this post with those strangers in mind.

Things you should know:

I just showed up in Portland one day. Did I try to find a job here before I came? Yes, but as soon as employers found out I was living in MN, I was dropped. That wasn't enough to deter me, so I drove out.  After the magical adventure of finding a place to live, the job hunt began. It was instantly frustrating. One honest conversation I had with a local human resources person was revealing: She told me there is such a surplus of people looking for work in Portland that someone who does not live in the immediate area will not be considered unless they have a great deal of experience in a niche field. Here's the thing: I have a great deal of experience in a niche medical profession. And the degree and a high GPA and the letters of recommendation from everyone I've ever worked for and all that stuff, so I thought I would take the chance and come out. None of my qualifications matter here.

I have been able to find part-time work, but that story is coming later.


Other things you should know:

I didn't bother with a traditional move. I packed what I believe to be the necessities of my life into a Civic and simply drove to Portland. I didn't bring big items because I would not make the assumption that things would work out in Portland, and I'm glad I didn't. The employment situation in the Pacific Northwest was, and still is, dire. So is the vacancy rate for apartments. Perhaps you know all that. I knew that before I drove out, but I wanted to live in the PNW for years, the timing was perfect for me on a personal level, and Portland was my best bet for carving out a life in this part of the country. And I believe in taking chances because it's fun and you learn. Does some of that sound familiar?

Did I really try to find a job or am I one of those twits that moved to Portland in order to retire?

I approached finding a job as though it were my job. I was disappointed to find that three months after moving to Portland, I could not even get an interview. Did I try online options? Yes. Even Craigslist? Yes. Did you try the "gigs" section of Craigslist (which is stalked all day by people here) just to get by? Yes. Temp agencies? Yes, and I got one call from one agency. I tried to call them back for days and they wouldn't answer the phone or return my messages. Walk in a store with a resume? Yes. Get so frustrated you might have smudged your resume? Yes. Were you looking for a career-track type gig or just anything? Both. I applied for public positions with local government and for jobs carrying bricks and running shovels. I did this every day and after three months, the chances of finding a job seemed akin to finding a unicorn on Mars that can play the oboe while translating The Iliad into Ojibway. Then my air mattress popped.

For the love of sleep and money and their symbiosis:

My air mattress was quite comfortable until the morning I woke up with my ass on the floor and my feet in the air and one arm entirely numb from the contorted position I slowly sank into as the air leaked out of it overnight. You've been there. It's not good. When I woke up in that position my miserly mindset was immediately ditched. I found The Mattress Lot online and it was blocks away.

I went to the store, found a really good full-size mattress and box-spring with a frame for about $200. And they agreed to deliver it later that afternoon. The rest goes like this:



Delivery Guy: "Where are you from?"

Me: "Minnesota."

"So you just drove into town because you wanted to live here?"

"Yes."

"You see that delivery truck?"

"Yes."

"Could you drive that?"

"A panel truck is no problem."

"I own the company and I'm looking for a delivery guy. Do you want a job?"

"Yes."


And then I became the Delivery Guy.  Working at The Mattress Lot was great. I was treated incredibly well by the company's owners, Michael and Mary Ruth Hanna, who know a lot about being unemployed and taking chances. I even had the bonus of enjoying my coworkers, all of whom are fun and hard-working.

Side note: Michael delivers mattresses on a bicycle, which makes him nuts or a raging Portlander.The Jury is still out.

I am grateful for that job- it allowed me to float. But my hours there were part-time and I need full-time, so I'm playing the unemployment odds and heading to the Midwest. Or, wherever I can get full-time hours. Know someone who's hiring anywhere?

At the end of it...

While things occasionally fall right into place, like having a really good part-time job delivered to your door along with a really good bed, that's probably not going to happen for you if you just show up in Portland like I did. Keep in mind that the entire time I worked at The Mattress Lot, I was looking for full-time work in the Pacific Northwest, of any kind, and only received one interview after applying to hundreds of jobs.

Obviously, Portland and the PNW have a number of wonderful things about them. If Portland wasn't a decent place, people wouldn't be driving into town every day. However, if you're like me when it comes to work and prefer traditional employment over part-time work or running your own business, you'd better think twice about moving to Portland without a job. Get a job in Portland before you come out, or be heavily connected with people here who can help you get a job once you arrive. If you don't, you will have a rough go of it.

But then again, you might get lucky.


Check out these other posts about Portland:

Portland in hindsight


Observations of Portland





You're probably going anyway, so don't forget one of these: