Thursday, September 15, 2011

Renting a room in Wyoming

One half of the cabin. 
I'm just outside of the Bighorn National Forest.  I stopped at this place that's on the outside of a tiny, tiny town a short drive from the entrance to Bighorn and when I got out of my car this guy sitting on a bench nearby says, "Hey, you wanna check out a room?"

I said, "Yeah, but I need to know what you're rates are."

He said, "Let me show you one of the places. Got a sleeping bag?"

"Uhhh, yeah. I have a sleeping bag."

"Well, you can stay here for forty bucks." He walks up to a stand-alone cabin.

"Forty bucks?" I asked. "Is it like a hostel or something? Do I have to share it with other people?"

"Nope," he said. "You get the whole cabin for $40. It's got a fridge, microwave, cable, a flat-screen, Wi-Fi and a deer head on the wall, but if I have to provide a sleeping bag, it'll cost you $60."

"I got a sleeping bag. I'll take it."

"You sure?" he asked. "I got another one, but it's got a sheep on the wall and it faces the road."

"I'm good with this one. Here's forty bucks."

No comments: